Calcium is present in our body in a good amount, and it is very helpful for our body. It helps in making your bones and teeth stronger and also plays a role in cardiovascular health, nerve signaling and muscle function.
Daily recommendation: 1000mg per day for adults.
A deficiency in calcium can lead to some serious problems like
- Numbness in toes and fingers
- Abnormal heart rhythms
- Loss of appetite
Now, taking excess calcium is also dangerous for health like:
- Calcification of soft tissue
- Kidney stones
- Increased risk of vascular diseases like stroke and heart attack.
As per the doctor’s recommendation, women over 50 and everyone over the age of 70 should get 1200 mg per day. So, here is a list of food items from where you can use calcium.
- Many of the seeds are high in calcium like poppy seeds, sesame seeds and celery and chia seeds.
- 1tbsp of poppy seeds is contained 126gm of calcium in it.
- Along with calcium some seeds also provide us protein like chia seed. These are rich in Omega-3 fatty acid, and sesame seeds contain 9% of RDI calcium in 1tbsp.
Now, cheese is also an excellent source of calcium. Parmesan cheese has the most 33% of the RDI. As you know, cheese is a dairy product, and it is easy for our body to consume dairy products. Along with calcium, you can also get protein from some cheese like cottage cheese, and hard cheese is low in lactose, which will be good for the person who is lactose intolerant.
- This is also an excellent source of calcium. Along with calcium some of the yogurts are also rich in probiotics bacteria which have various health benefits.
- 245 grams (One Cup) of plain yogurt contains 30% of RDI. Along with this it also contains potassium and vitamin B12 vitamin B2, phosphorous
- Low-fat yogurt is higher in calcium as it contains 45% of RDI. Greek yogurt contains added protein also.
4) Beans and lentils
- Now beans and lentils are high in micronutrients, fiber, and proteins. They also contain potassium, magnesium, iron, folate and zinc.
- Winged Beans: 1 cup of cooked wing beans contains 24% of RDI.
- White Beans: 1 cup of white beans contains 13% of RDI.
Among all the nuts present, almonds are the ones which are highest in calcium. 22 almonds give us 8% of RDI. Along with calcium these also provide use fibers, healthy fats, Vitamin- E and manganese.
6) Whey protein
These are also proved to be the best source of protein. But this is the artificial source of calcium. One scoop of whey protein isolate contains 200 mg of the RDI.
7) Leafy Greens
- Leafy and dark greens are very healthy, and some of them are high in calcium. Leafy greens which contain calcium are collard greens, kale, spinach, lambs quarters.
- 1 cup of collard greens contains 266mg of it.
- It contains many vitamins and minerals like Vitamin-k, calcium, prebiotic fiber. Like spinach, it is also high in oxalates.
So, these are the primary sources of calcium, and there are some other food items from where you can have protein are:
Amaranth, Edamame, tofu, Figs, milk
So, take this food and make your bones and teeth strong. For more health tips Stay Connected